To clarify, an EPC measures the energy efficiency of a property on a scale of A-G, with A being the most efficient and G being the least. A-rated homes should have the lowest fuel bills and carbon emissions – a win for your bank balance and the environment.
Knowing the typical features greener properties command is helpful if you’re looking for a new home or wondering what improvements might boost your current score. A recent overview of high-rated homes listed for sale on a popular property portal, found many shared these attributes:
- Triple-glazed or laminated glass windows
- Aluminium windows (for thermal insulation)
- Air source heat pumps
- Carbon negative construction techniques
- PV solar panels for generating free electricity
- Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR) systems
- HeatStream water tanks
- Underfloor heating
- Ample insulation throughout
Whatever your starting point, we can advise you on improving your property’s EPC rating before renting or selling. We can also help buyers find an energy-efficient new home.
Contact us today to learn more.